Need inspiration this fall to keep your workout schedule on track? We’re here to help! LifeWise Health Plan of Oregon is working with EveryMove to bring you Oregon Moves – a four-week fitness challenge for Oregon residents that turns your daily fitness routines into donations for statewide charities.
By tracking everything from your daily run to the 30 minutes you spend cleaning the house, you can help raise up to $50,000 for the Brian Grant Foundation, United Way Deschutes County, United Way Columbia-Willamette, American Heart Association and The American Lung Association in Oregon – all made possible by LifeWise Health Plan of Oregon and Vivacity.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Register: Enroll online at www.everymove.org/ORmoves starting October 7. If you already have an account with EveryMove, login and look for the Oregon Moves page on the left hand menu. You’ll be able to sign-up and select your charity to support. Enrollment will be open throughout the contest, but participants are encouraged to sign up early to help ensure the maximum amount of charitable donations.
- Download EveryMove: EveryMove is an app that connects you to all of your favorite fitness trackers. Log hundreds of your favorite daily activities and workouts and earn points that you can redeem for rewards. You can download on Android or iPhone.
- Track Your Workouts: Beginning October 21 and running through November 17, log your workouts through the website or any number of fitness tracking devices connected to EveryMove. For every “active day” you log, the featured sponsors will donate money to one of the five selected charities.
Need inspiration for completing your “Active Days?” If you “break a sweat” and acquire a certain number of points in a day, you’ll score an Active Day bonus and earn up to $1 each day for your selected charity. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
1. Log your daily chores! Do you walk or bike to work? How about walking your dog? Simply logging these activities (as well as others like time spent cleaning your house or gardening) will earn you points.
2. Try something new. Get out of your comfort zone and try something totally different. Bring your mountain bike inside and hit the trails at the Lumberyard Indoor Bike Park or visit the beautiful Hood River Fruit Loop and cycle through amazing wineries.
3. Take a hike. October is still a great time to plan a hike before the snow starts to cover your favorite trails. Live near Portland? Head to the Columbia River Gorge and tackle one of our favorite trails while checking out the migrating salmon.
4. Hit the stairs. Running (or even walking) stairs is a great way to get in a quick, effective workout. Portland has plenty of vertical options to choose from that will give you a heart-pounding, sweat-pouring workout.
5. Make it a family affair. Get the full family moving and try one of our playground workout ideas. You’ll have a blast and get a great workout.
LIVE IN WASHINGTON?