Looking for a creative way to eat more berries? A handful of blackberries or strawberries can turn a meal from ordinary to gourmet. Berries also give your body a boost of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, Vitamin C and fiber to fight stress, stay heart healthy and keep your blood sugar in check. Try these three refreshing and nutritious berry recipes for a healthy taste of summer.
TROPICAL MOONLIGHT SMOOTHIE
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup torn-up fresh basil leaves
Preparation: Combine all the ingredients at once and blend until smooth and creamy.
TUSCAN QUINOA AND BLACKBERRY SALAD
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa (prepare with chicken stock)
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped mixed salad greens
- 1 1/2 cooked and sliced Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup blackberries (fresh or defrosted)
- 2 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation: Prepare quinoa as directed on the packaging, using chicken stock instead of water. Let cool. Combine all the ingredients, toss with the dressing and enjoy!
STRAWBERRY PESTO ON GRILLED ROCKFISH
- 12 to 15 ripe strawberries, hulled
- 2/3 cup Romano Padana cheese
- 3/4 cup Oregon hazelnuts
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1-pound rockfish fillet
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
Preparation: Blend strawberries, cheese, hazelnuts and basil in a blender or food processor. Drizzle in oils, adding more if needed for consistency. Add seasonings (be sure not to overblend) then set aside. In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil on medium high heat. Season rockfish filet with salt on both sides and then place it on the skillet. Cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until fish becomes flaky. Spoon pesto over fish and serve.