Whether you’re having a few friends over for a backyard gathering or making something special for your household this Independence Day, we have a simple, yet satisfying menu for you. Fresh, homemade salsa is a quick and healthy snack that you can have on hand in just minutes.
In the Pacific Northwest, you can typically find delicious locally grown tomatoes at your local farmers’ market. The beauty of local produce is that, because it’s spent less time being transported on a truck, it tends to have more nutrients and flavor. You can make this red and white dish extra patriotic by serving it with organic blue corn tortilla chips.
Fourth of July Salsa Recipe (Serves 4-6)
- One 454g container of fresh tomatoes (approx. 8-10 medium sized)
- One-half cup onion, finely diced
- One-half cup cilantro leaves
- One-half of a chili pepper, seeds removed (for an extra kick, leave the seeds in)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions (if prepping by hand)
- Chop fresh tomatoes into small pieces and place in bowl
- Finely chop onion, cilantro and chili pepper and combine with tomatoes
- Mince garlic and add to bowl
- Add lime juice, salt and pepper and mix well
Instructions (if using a food processor)
- Place tomatoes in processor and lightly pulse until finely chopped
- Remove tomatoes from food processor and place in bowl
- Put all remaining ingredients in the processor, except lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Again, lightly pulse until finely chopped and add to tomatoes.
- Garnish with lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve with organic blue corn tortilla chips
Fire Up the Grill
Independence Day is the biggest grill day of the year. And most often than not, the food that’s grilled up isn’t very healthy. However, your Fourth of July celebrations don’t have to be filled with fatty, overcooked hamburgers and dry chicken. Check out our delicious recipes for BBQ salmon and asparagus to add some healthy flavor to your holiday. If that’s not your thing, check out Chef Michael Smith’s take on Grilled Chicken and Pepper Salad, or make your own delicious Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches.
Read more ideas from local bloggers
Grilled Apricot Spiced Shrimp from Savory Sweet Life.
Stars and Stripes Tomato Salad from The Lake Kitchen.
Gluten-Free Cherry Pie from Gluten-Free Girl.