Coconut Milk Yogurt You Can Make At Home
Yogurt is a great breakfast food or snack, packed with regulating probiotics and easy to dress up with fun toppings. Unfortunately, the store-bought versions often come with a one-third of day’s worth of sugar.
Personally, I have made a habit of looking at food labels, specifically the sugar content in foods I buy. I wouldn’t consider yogurt a sweet – but judging on the sugar content contained in some brands it certainly qualifies as one. Plain Greek yogurt typically is low on the sugar scale but can be a stark change to the sweet stuff we have become so used to. So, give yourself some time to adjust your taste buds here, you may want to consider adding honey, fruit or bee pollen on top for a little bit of sweetness.
OR if you’re like me and want to make as much of your own food as possible, you can try making yogurt at home! I have recently focused on minimizing my dairy intake (aside from cheese), so I make coconut milk yogurt. It’s really easy and the flavor is fantastic. There is a natural sweetness, and the texture is very similar to regular yogurt. Here’s how:
What you need:
- 2 cans of organic coconut milk (make sure they are in cans – as the coconut cream is essential)
- 2 probiotic capsules (you can get these at most stores in the supplements section or on Amazon)
- A glass bowl
- Cheese cloth
- OPTIONAL: A flavor extract of your choice
- Pour two cans of coconut milk (liquid and cream) into a glass bowl
- Whisk together until combined
- Add the contents of 2 probiotic capsules (and your flavor extract of choice) and whisk to combine
- Completely cover the glass bowl with cheese cloth and let sit at room temperature for 24-48 hours. To judge this, follow your nose! The yogurt will begin to give off a familiar aroma when it is ready.
- Portion out, add your toppings and put in the refrigerator.
For toppings, I use: mango, bee pollen, coconut flakes or dried raspberries, honey and cacao nibs. This yogurt is delicious by itself, but the opportunities to experiment with toppings are endless!
Image by ThitareeSarmkasat