Welcome to LifeWise Kitchen! We’ve teamed up with Bastyr University and Guckenheimer to provide you with healthy and delicious recipes all year long. Check out our latest post – a recipe by Lisa Homan at Bastyr University and adapted from Orangette – in the LifeWise Kitchen series below.
‘Tis the season not only to re-hang the holiday decorations and tackle your holiday shopping list — but also to prepare the spare bedroom. Your guests are coming.
Hosting friends and family for a holiday gathering can be both a joy and a headache. Meals and snacks are in store — but it’s hard to find something that pleases everyone. It’s even harder to lay out treats perfect for the holidays, but not overly sweet and fattening.
Fret no more! We’ve got the perfect healthy appetizer for you. Serve up this lamb meatballs recipe, and impress everyone from your in-laws to your picky niece. (We won’t tell everyone how simple they are to prepare.)
Recipe: Lamb Meatballs with Raisins, Pine Nuts and Fresh Yogurt Sauce
- 1 pound ground lamb (shop local when possible)
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup panko or fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or other spicy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A few pinches freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat broiler with oven rack placed 3 inches below heat source.
2. Combine lamb, onion, egg, parsley, pine nuts, raisins, bread crumbs, cumin, Tabasco, salt and pepper in a bowl.
3. Mix all ingredients, using a spoon or your hands, until evenly mixed.
4. Form the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheet.
5. Transfer baking sheet to oven and broil lamb meatballs for 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned on top and slightly pink on the inside.
6. Serve hot, warm or cold with yogurt sauce.
Recipe: Lemon Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (from the same lemon)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced and then quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Mix ingredients to taste in a bowl. Chill until served. Couldn’t be easier!
Wishing you a happy holiday season, from our kitchen to yours! Please share your favorite holiday appetizer ideas and hosting tips with us in the comments below.