Welcome to LifeWise Kitchen! We’ve teamed up with Nourish Northwest, Bastyr University and Guckenheimer to provide you with healthy and delicious recipes all year long. Check out our latest post – a recipe from Ellie Freeman at Bastyr University – in the LifeWise Kitchen series below.
As we get closer to the holidays, you’ll notice the overflowing squash displays at your local grocery store or farmers market. While many go for the smaller squash that you’re used to cooking, we challenge you to try something new. Spaghetti squash (the big yellow ones) recipes are the perfect alternative to pasta recipes and often use the same ingredients. We’re highlighting one of our favorites, a gluten- and grain-free recipe made with pumpkin seed pesto. We guarantee you’ll be reaching for seconds!
Spaghetti Squash with Pumpkin Seed Pesto
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup basil leaves, packed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, large
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Extra Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° F degrees.
- Wash squash, cut in halves lengthwise and spoon the seeds out. Punch a few holes in the outer skin with a fork.
- Place squash cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the squash out of the oven, let it cool and remove the flesh, separating the strands with the fork.
- Toast pumpkin seeds by sautéing them in a pan until they are slightly brown.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Gently mix pesto with spaghetti squash and serve with extra Parmesan cheese on top. Serve hot.